House Extension in Herefordshire
Clifford Castle House was originally an Edwardian fishing lodge located on the bank of the River Wye which is also sited within the Historic Barbican of Clifford Castle an Ancient Scheduled Monument originally built between 1067-1070.
The buildings original design favoured vistas of the River Wye and the historic ruin of the Clifford Castle itself was obscured from view. The new owner wished to address this and a comprehensive scheme of extensions and re-ordering were planned. Along with a traditional gable extension a bold and contemporary addition which featured a cantilevered corner with a sliding door that concealed itself within the wall opening up uninterrupted views. A glazed cantilever corner wood burning stove and wine cellar were also installed which created their own design challenge. Alex acted as contract administrator and project lead throughout the project with a particular attention to detail, whilst at hook mason.
As well and planning permission after negotiations with Historic England also received Ancient Scheduled Monument Consent.
Listing: Scheduled Ancient Monument
Contractor: Paul Mason